4,376 replies, 1 new
photoSIG Cafe
3,974 discussions
53,161 replies
Critic's Corner
1,351 discussions
16,937 replies

Start a new discussion

From ssal/Alex (38,325) This user is a Premium Member Send mail to this user on March 23, 2012 1:44:33 PM CDT

I have a habit of copying the image from PhotoSig into my Photoshop for some manipulation for some the pictures I critique. I have noticed that the color is at least 1 to 1.5 steps less saturated when viewing on PhotoSig. The image is that much more vibrant and saturated when I paste the image onto PhotoShop.

Any suggestion why and how to correct that?

Read 333 times

From jd510/Colin (22,963) Send mail to this user on March 23, 2012 2:11:32 PM CDT

Hi Alex, I think it's to do with colour space the web and Photosig are SRGB colourspace whereas PS is Adobe colour space which portrays much richer colours. It depends on how your ICC profiles are set up.

Most of my images are in Adobe colour space so I have to change it for photosig by going into: view - proof setup - monitor and then when saving untick the ICC profile box and then save in srgb - which is a bit of a pain. Hope this helps - Colin :)

From ssal/Alex (38,325) This user is a Premium Member Send mail to this user on March 23, 2012 2:42:22 PM CDT

My monitor was calibrated with Spyder3. When I boot up the computer, it loads the monitor profile.

Whne I go to view-proof setup, it is on CMYK. I can change it to my Spyder3 profile. But there is not difference in the display color. It is still richer in PhotoShop.

The following PhotoSig picture looks orange in PhotoSig, but a more rich red on my screen. Flower

Adding the following . . .

I tried copy the image onto Windows XP Paint and it has the same color as in PhotoSig. How's that going change the phenomenon/observation?

From finsen/Finn (61) Send mail to this user on March 23, 2012 6:27:04 PM CDT

hi folks
I got a litle curious about this topic and I can only say that the same thing happens on my computer ( running xp pro and cs4 using colorprofile srgb iec61966-2.1) but try taking a look at the thumbnail of the flower, on my screen it`s the same oversaturated pic that I get when I download the picture. when I look at the file info it says photoshop colormode 3 ? any idea
Finn

From ssal/Alex (38,325) This user is a Premium Member Send mail to this user on March 23, 2012 7:19:37 PM CDT

I think I found the reason. Here is the link. I haven't read it in detail yet. Looks like something that's going take a while to understand and fix.

Color Only Looks BAD in Photoshop and color-managed applications

From finsen/Finn (61) Send mail to this user on March 23, 2012 7:29:14 PM CDT

Hi again
I think we are a little closer to an answer - try taking a look at the metadata in bridge. If you look at the color mode it`s " rgb " and the embedded color profile is " ProPhoto RGB " I believe that the picture hasn't been saved for web, but as a normal jpeg, hence all the metadata.
when we view the picture on photosig we get a pic converted to rgb and when we download, we get the original as uploaded. - make any sense ?
Finn.

From ssal/Alex (38,325) This user is a Premium Member Send mail to this user on March 23, 2012 8:12:13 PM CDT

I think the problem has nothing to do with the color space (Adobe vs sRBG) because I am talking about the same image. The color differs when viewed in color managed programs like PhotoShop or FireFox. The display in Opera or IE is not color managed so it looks different.

That article I attached has some very good explanation.

From tvernuccio/Sheila (36,831) This user is a Premium Member Send mail to this user on March 24, 2012 1:18:41 AM CDT

It looks red to me on photoSIG, Alex.

From finsen/Finn (61) Send mail to this user on March 24, 2012 5:26:57 AM CDT

which browser do you use ?

From ssal/Alex (38,325) This user is a Premium Member Send mail to this user on March 24, 2012 8:24:55 AM CDT

The link I enclosed explains the phenomenon well.

Explanation of color variation between PhotoShop and IE

PhotoShop and FireFox use managed color which is affected by the Spyder ICC profile. Other browser like IE or Opera, or Windows Paint don't use managed color so it is not reading the Spyder ICC. Thus the color looks different from PhotoShop.

From tvernuccio/Sheila (36,831) This user is a Premium Member Send mail to this user on March 24, 2012 11:42:57 AM CDT

Bing

From marshall/Marshall (12,600) Send mail to this user on March 24, 2012 1:24:02 PM CDT

Hi Colin - I think it can be simpler for you. To get to sRGB, you don't really need to go through proof setup or view through your monitor profile. If you're working in PS, just Convert (not Assign) sRGB as the profile before you save the file.

Also, if I were being pedantic (which I guess I am today), it's not quite accurate to say that the web and photosig "are sRGB" so much as that many (maybe still most) browsers simply ignore embedded color spaces and just throw the numbers at the screen. PS can be set to operate in any color space, and will also honor whatever the embedded profile says.

From marshall/Marshall (12,600) Send mail to this user on March 24, 2012 1:20:32 PM CDT

[Not quite sure where to drop this into the thread, but here goes...]

Alex - I haven't read your links, but I think there is also some misinformation floating around the thread.

You haven't said how you are copying the image. If you are simply using Image: Copy, then you are throwing away the embedded profile information. When you paste the image into a new document in PS, it will use whatever your workspace is set to. If you save the file and then open the file, it will use whatever profile is embedded in the image (assuming there is one) or use the default for your workspace if there is no embedded profile.

Complicating matters in the case of that flower image, that image appears to have the wrong profile embedded for web use. It is using prophoto, which is a perfectly fine editing space, but not a good choice for web use, because not all browsers are color aware. In any case, the fundamental reason for the differences in viewing is the space in the file and the assumptions by browsers. How are you copying the files into PS and what is your default workspace color profile?

Also, your monitor profile isn't really relevant here. It's good that you have the monitor profiled, of course. And if you want to see what a photo will look like on your computer only, viewed through a non-color aware application, you can soft proof to your monitor setup. However, for choosing editing spaces or determining the correct working space for a file, you should never need to soft proof to your monitor space, nor should you ever assign or convert an image to that space.

So, it isn't correct to say that "PhotoShop and FireFox use managed color which is affected by the Spyder ICC profile. Other browser like IE or Opera, or Windows Paint don't use managed color so it is not reading the Spyder ICC. Thus the color looks different from PhotoShop." Color-aware applications pay attention to embedded profiles; non-color aware apps do not, and that Spyder-generated profile should never be the embedded one. That profile is only used by the computer to help ensure that what you see on your screen is a good representation of the colors that are in the file.

From ssal/Alex (38,325) This user is a Premium Member Send mail to this user on March 24, 2012 2:06:06 PM CDT

After I read that article in the link, I did some test using an image on my computer. The image was a jpg file with sRBG workspace. I opened it in Photoshop (color managed), which has a much more saturated appearance. Then I opened it with Windows Paint (unmanaged) and the color is a lot less saturated.

Then I changed monitor and called up the profile of the new monitor. Did the same testing. Then the image in PhotoShop is not as saturated as before, but it is still different from that opened in Paint.

The difference is most noticeable with bright red. The yellow, blue and green are not as conspicuous.

I am pretty sure that my Spyder3 calibrated may have miscalibrated the red channel. I will try recalibrate it next week.

But I believe that it will not be identical because the way these programs manage, or unmanage color.

Return to forum