Forums

Your comments have all the weight, so...

in Photos & Photographers
Business
12,330 discussions
103,397 replies
Photos & Photographers
19,660 discussions
89,640 replies
Technique
4,555 discussions
33,962 replies
Equipment
8,923 discussions, 1 new
62,676 replies, 7 new
photoSIG Talk
7,186 discussions, 1 new
78,757 replies, 13 new
User News/Ads
1,715 discussions
21,467 replies
photoSIG News
440 discussions, 1 new
4,318 replies, 32 new
photoSIG Cafe
3,975 discussions
53,175 replies
Critic's Corner
1,341 discussions, 1 new
16,832 replies, 23 new

Start a new discussion

From onajourney/Chris (1,246) Send mail to this user on February 8, 2012 8:38:33 PM CST

I launched a web site to post my journey in this incredible vast world of photography I jumped into last year. You all are a large part of my travels so I am asking you to check it out and give some feedback on it. I'm a big boy and appreciate any comments or suggestions on my work as always. Not so much about a individual shot because I know some should not be there but the overall site . Any comments are really appreciated. SheridanShots.com

Read 444 times

From darrell/Darrell (8,171) Send mail to this user on February 8, 2012 9:30:46 PM CST

Took a look, great photos, site similar to mine, nice logo. One major flaw, you are giving them away you need to charge a lot more for that quality. Hope you have a lot of success.

From onajourney/Chris (1,246) Send mail to this user on February 8, 2012 10:17:43 PM CST

That's the last thing I thought I would get a comment about. Thank you. up it goes.

From tvernuccio/Sheila (36,841) This user is a Premium Member Send mail to this user on February 8, 2012 11:21:32 PM CST

hi Chris, First of all, I LOVE your photos!! They're awesome!!! Secondly, your website is very user-friendly and I love how you have it set up. In fact, I like it so much that I showed my husband and asked him if he can design a website for us that's similar to yours. One final note...your prices are really cheap. I think they're worth a lot more. :)

From log/Louise (27,916) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 3:34:12 AM CST

"There are no products available for the selected destination."

Maybe that should come earlier....

From onajourney/Chris (1,246) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 8:14:40 PM CST

I'm not sure where you got this message?

From log/Louise (27,916) Send mail to this user on February 10, 2012 2:00:39 AM CST

Some way into the process of trying to buy something. If you don't want to do "International" shipping, please say so up-front.

From loiswakeman/Lois (17,231) This user is a Premium Member Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 3:59:30 AM CST

You need to engage with your audience and make them feel they know you so they want to buy your beautiful photos. At least have a shot of yourself (in action if you don't want a portrait), and lose the third person bio - that is so stuffy art gallery - you need to come across as a real person talking to the viewer!

I wrote a bit more about this here.

From onajourney/Chris (1,246) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 8:18:53 PM CST

Your suggestions make a lot of sense and I will be making changes based on your ideas. Thank you.

From stmv/Sebastian (60,596) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 9:33:39 AM CST

where are you printing? your home printer, or service. and are you sending out with a precut Matte or raw prints. I am not sure your prices are that far off, typically I see 8 by 10s sell for 25 dollars locally, ll by 14 at 35 dollars, and these are put in a precut matte.

From sheenawilkie/Administrator (0) This user is a Premium Member This user is an Administrator Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 10:46:53 AM CST

He is selling an 8x 10 print for $8.95. That's crazy cheap, pretty much working for free. I think 25 bucks for a print is dirt cheap too.

From stmv/Sebastian (60,596) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 3:00:26 PM CST

8.95 yes, dirt cheap, 25 dollars for an 8 by 10,,, unframed, seems reasonable. Guess it depends on the market. I charge 25 dollars for 8 by 10, 35 for 11 by 14 prints. Framed pieces go up, but than the overhead of framing justisfies the cost.

Perhaps this a forum topic on its own,, pricing.

From sheenawilkie/Administrator (0) This user is a Premium Member This user is an Administrator Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 4:06:30 PM CST

So how much do you figure you make an hour selling a print for 25 bucks?

From marshall/Marshall (12,357) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 8:40:39 PM CST

It's much bigger than a forum topic, to be sure.

Prices like that sound to me like charging for the craft, but not the art.

From oevt/Oscar (35,053) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 10:12:43 AM CST

I did not see prices.

I do think a small bio on yourself (and maybe a portrait of you) might add. I gave a really 'quick' look and the web page is fast easy to read and see but more specific is enjoyable...regards...O

From sheenawilkie/Administrator (0) This user is a Premium Member This user is an Administrator Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 10:47:43 AM CST

The others have made good comments on your site but dude, you're giving your work away!

From onajourney/Chris (1,246) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 8:13:25 PM CST

Truth be told, if someone wanted an image, I would be glad to give it to them. Then I'd start charging. LOL

From sheenawilkie/Administrator (0) This user is a Premium Member This user is an Administrator Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 8:33:14 PM CST

I know it's difficult but if you don't value your work then no one else will either. If you want to sell your work later, it will be hard to do if you give it away now. You're also making it tough on people who are trying to make a living making photographs.

From ollie0626/Jonathan (3,486) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 12:35:56 PM CST

Just a quick comment - I find when people refer to themselves in the third person, it comes across as a bit impersonal (your about page). Also - is this smugmug? If so, how did you develop it? I am totally struggling with my smugmug page.

From ollie0626/Jonathan (3,486) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 12:57:29 PM CST

Sorry - that was mentioned above.

From onajourney/Chris (1,246) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 8:24:31 PM CST

Agreed, consider it done. Thanks for the pointed comments.

From muralist0221/George (8,059) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 2:30:37 PM CST

Like your work and the post processing!

From darrell/Darrell (8,171) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 2:46:53 PM CST

I'm pretty sure its Zenfolio with Mpix doing the printing.

From stmv/Sebastian (60,596) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 3:10:27 PM CST

interesting site, 100 dollars a year for an e-commerce site, anybody else using ths service? and do they allow you to print your own or do you have to use their service?

From stmv/Sebastian (60,596) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 3:37:56 PM CST

I see that if you go premium, they allow self control but they charge 4% tax on your printing.

From darrell/Darrell (8,171) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 5:04:57 PM CST

Yes I am and it is great because I shoot large groups such as Hockey teams and Soccer teams. And the occasional wedding works well for out of towners. Not to mention the customer service is fantastic. Never had a complaint about the quality of printing the only thing is that the shipping charge is a little steep usually $6-7. You can self fulfill any products you like and you can also have multiple pricing and assign different prices to different portfolios. Of course I have been to lazy to do that yet.

From smoke11/Patrick (3,234) This user is a Premium Member Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 5:17:44 PM CST

I love your work. Very beautiful.

Regarding site design, I would consider experimenting and try other approaches.

The site, for me, opened with a slide show, which could turn some people off (some people don't like slide shows). Conversely, it may work for others. The photos are very dramatic and strong and immediately take you in.

From onajourney/Chris (1,246) Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 7:56:58 PM CST

First thank you all for the responses. I'm actually pretty overwhelmed by all the positive comments on my work. I love Psig and the great critiques, but I didn't think my stuff was very good. This is a Zenfolio site for $100 a year. I would recommend to anyone thinking about putting something up. It's super easy cause I'm no computer geek. There is a bunch of comments here regarding the pricing and such, but I honestly did not put any thought into that aspect of the site. I just added it because it was included. You all have made me rethink that part. The problem is I crop for the shot and I think I may need to start cropping for print output. The Zenfolio print partners don't have much for pano or odd sizes. I will have to look into self filling orders because of the odd sizes. I actually would hit the floor if someone wanted to buy one. Again, your comments are truly appreciated and I can't thank you enough.

From sheenawilkie/Administrator (0) This user is a Premium Member This user is an Administrator Send mail to this user on February 9, 2012 8:34:27 PM CST

You need to start cropping your shot in camera and producing shots in common aspect ratios if you want to sell them :-)

From onajourney/Chris (1,246) Send mail to this user on April 9, 2012 9:50:05 PM CDT

Thanks Sheena. This is not as easy as said but I'm working on it. With a full frame, I honestly had not worried to much about cropping in the camera too much. What a mistake. Again you guys never make my life any easier. Lol

Return to forum