4,274 replies
photoSIG Cafe
3,975 discussions
53,175 replies
Critic's Corner
1,340 discussions
16,809 replies

Start a new discussion

From yahn/Eric (2,871) Send mail to this user on January 27, 2012 6:59:57 PM CST

Hi everyone, I'm a wedding and portrait photographer I'm shooting a wedding and reception in Feb. The reception is being held at a venue that is styled like a log cabin. Lots of natural would/ I normally use a Stofen diffuser or aLumiquest 80-20 diffuser when I cover receptions. Any bounce flash at all I expect will be prety warme because of all of the natural wood. I would like to balance my flash with anbient light as much as possible. I'm considering placing a full cut CTO gel on my flash and shooting tungsten white balance for amore natural look. Any thoughts or input on this idea would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Read 374 times

From sheenawilkie/Administrator (0) This user is a Premium Member This user is an Administrator Send mail to this user on January 27, 2012 9:21:42 PM CST

Are you not shooting in RAW? You can adjust WB in post even with the gel. I hardly ever bounce my flash in wedding venues. So little control. I prefer to diffuse my external flash and dial it down. I get a much more controlled natural light.

From tab62/Thomas (4,276) Send mail to this user on January 27, 2012 10:26:40 PM CST

Bingo! I love RAW - total control on some many elements to include wb

From del/Administrator (0) This user is an Administrator Send mail to this user on January 28, 2012 9:29:18 AM CST

But RAW does not resolve the problem of mixed light if it is not consistent across a frame. So, not total control if you have sunlight from a window or light from a burning candle in one part and tungsten or fluorescent in another part of the same frame. Depending on your camera and WB settings, either one area will be off or the whole frame will; usually the smaller area.

From ollie0626/Jonathan (3,486) Send mail to this user on January 27, 2012 11:36:32 PM CST

Hi Sheena, what is your flash setup for a wedding? I am doing some photography for a friend at her wedding and am trying to learn flash. I have an sb800. Considering a Gary Fong Collapsible lighsphere. What bracket do you use? (re asking a question I left on a forum a few days ago!!)

From sheenawilkie/Administrator (0) This user is a Premium Member This user is an Administrator Send mail to this user on January 28, 2012 10:20:33 AM CST

Sorry Jonathan I kept meaning to go look at the label on my bracket. Just checked, it's so old it's worn off lol. It wasn't an expensive one. It's the second one I've had in ten years. Eventually the screw holding it on strips or one of the rivets gets lose. I like to go look at them before I buy them because some are heavy than others and I try to keep the weight of those things to a minumum because the camera, glass and flash already weigh a ton lol. I use the GaryFong cloud light sphere, I've had that for about five years too. Works great for me.

From ollie0626/Jonathan (3,486) Send mail to this user on January 29, 2012 9:58:35 AM CST

Hey thanks Sheena! So your flash then sits above the camera right? Do you need a cable as well, or is the bracket wired somehow? I know I could look this stuff up online so no worries if you don't have the time to answer!

From sheenawilkie/Administrator (0) This user is a Premium Member This user is an Administrator Send mail to this user on January 29, 2012 11:07:20 AM CST

Still need the cord. Can't deny the camera companies their accessory money! ;-)

From del/Administrator (0) This user is an Administrator Send mail to this user on January 27, 2012 9:32:54 PM CST

A cto gel makes sense if the ambient light is indeed primarily tungsten. In that case, your flash color should blend well with the ambient, but you will get problems near windows. Best is to just stay away from unmodified sunlight. I wonder how much bounce effect you will get from natural wood surfaces in any case, though. I see the logic of cto gel to blend with ambient, but I doubt that you will get much bounce.

From rmullns/Robert (3,183) Send mail to this user on January 28, 2012 4:19:36 PM CST

You haven't mentioned your camera but as a working photographer I'm going to assume you have the latest in gear? hence, if shooting in RAW I don't see any need for anything other than AWB and batch process as Sheena mentioned.

You may find if you're shooting too fast and the flash hasn't fully re-charged that's where you can run into WB problems -- the flash and camera work together to attain the proper AWB but the flash needs to be ready to go before each shot ...

The color of the walls would not keep me from bouncing as I feel you get the best results with bounced flash thereby eliminating your need for a bracket ... as many ways to shoot as Carter has pills ...

Return to forum