4,326 replies, 37 new
photoSIG Cafe
3,975 discussions
53,175 replies
Critic's Corner
1,342 discussions, 1 new
16,832 replies, 4 new

Start a new discussion

From thpeterson/Tommy (1,952) Send mail to this user on September 22, 2011 12:53:27 PM CDT

if you had the money, would you put more money into better external flashes or radio transmitters? if you had to choose between getting top of the line of one and less of the other, which way would you go? also, radio popper or pocket wizard. i use pw currently but so many good reviews on rp and have never used them myself. just wondering

Read 350 times

From marshall/Marshall (12,393) Send mail to this user on September 22, 2011 1:11:18 PM CDT

Requires context to answer. Requires knowledge of your setup and goals to apply an answer to you.

If I were using my flashes a lot and had the money, I would consider the PW flex and mini setups. I have standard PWs already, though, so another flash might come first. (I have two iTTL-enabled flashes, and three if I'm shooting manual.)

From thpeterson/Tommy (1,952) Send mail to this user on September 22, 2011 1:35:25 PM CDT

i shoot primarily studio and have wireless units with pw and photogenic which has it built in. and when we take portraits outside, we always use reflectors, but i want to take it to the next level. also weddings are always completely natural light. i want to know how would my money be better spent? i've got about a $2500 budget for stands, lights, transmitters, softboxes, etc

From thpeterson/Tommy (1,952) Send mail to this user on September 22, 2011 2:31:49 PM CDT

i guess what i'm asking is, i know that the more you pay for external flashes and wireless remotes, the more features they have on them, i'm just wondering the features on the flashes or the remotes are more beneficial.

From rl55/Rakesh (65) Send mail to this user on January 16, 2012 5:49:48 AM CST

Hi Tommy, it obviously depends on your photography preference, i.e. if you photograph subjects in dark (like indoor rooms, evenings or outdoors at night) then it would be wise to go for a good flash. However, if you are into long exposures, landscapes, night time photography, sports etc then it would be wise to go for a wireless remote. For me, I had to make the same decision recently and I went for a expensive remote and a used/ second hand flash (from ebay) because the winter was approaching and I my hands are covered and when taking long exposures I don't want to touch the camera with my hands as it can cause some shake when you release the trigger. The remote comes in handy as I can keep my hands warm in the jacket pocket and press trigger remotely and look at the LCD panel on the camera for the result.

From oevt/Oscar (35,082) Send mail to this user on January 16, 2012 1:22:23 PM CST

Where I reside it would take both to make one. I'd have to put more $ on more 580EXII flashes and a nice pw wizard set up to go with it along a nice stand and softboxes or large umbrellas (wescott 72" maybe) I wonder how much would I have to put and make numbers to figure out the return of the investment but would go for both tops of the line...regards 2 cents only..O

Return to forum